Saturday, November 01, 2008

First Yarn


Well, I've been wanting to learn how to do this for years now.

As usual, I tried to teach myself. I used a bottom whorl drop spindle.

It didn't work out.

I got all kinds of frustrated and discouraged. All I was left with was NOT any yarn, but hurt feelings and disappointment. I don't know why I get so emotional with this yarn. Sometimes I think I must be sick in the head.

Well, I finally found a class near me. With a store I like. For a reasonable price.

For $79 I get 7 hours of instruction, all the roving I can use, use of a wheel ( there were 4 different types, with the possibility of checking the wheels out with a credit card number), personal instruction, and Teddy Bear was well received although she was up in every new spinner's business.

This was invaluable. I mean, the instructor couldn't hold my hands, cause I needed to use them. But, she was sitting right in front of me guiding me with her words and suddenly I experienced an epiphany and began to spin some yarn fairly uniform in size without breaking the strand or hanging up the wheel with my tangles and mistakes.

Believe me, I've had quite a stressful week that left me with feelings of devastation. Well, while making my yarn, I didn't think at all about my stresses. Nor was I ever even hungry. Hmmmmmm.

You see this right here?! What's that in that picture, bloggers. Huhhhhh??? Yayee, yaay-eeeeeee!!!!! You KNOW!


That there is 100 grams of a combo of thread, lace, fingering, DK, aran, and chunky weight yarns all in one center pull ball. Isn't it beautiful?

Next week I will be making another one and spinning it into two ply with this one.

Oh yes, my February Lady Sweater is completed, but I haven't found buttons I like yet, or accessories to go with it. I'm trying to step my posting game up, so I want to do it right this time.

9 comments:

Knitaholictoo said...

Yeeeeha! Yes your cake is lovely. Can't wait to see you model that Feb sweater!

Harlem Purl said...

Great looking yarn you've made. Welcome to the dark side!

Lesalicious said...

I never spinned before. You did great.:)

Sheila said...

SpinnaRella you did IT!!! Nice color too.

Susan said...

That sounds like a great class to take and not a bad price with the roving thrown in, too!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it just a wonderful feeling? I love spinning.

WineGrrl said...

Beautiful!

$75 for all of that is nothing to sneeze at!

Anonymous said...

I swear everyone is learning how to spin! I'm feeling kinda left out. lol Your yarn looks great by the way.

Lace hearts said...

Your blog is fab - I love all your pics. I think your belt is the prettiest I've seen. Is there a pattern online, or is it just in the magazine you got? I'd love to have a go at that (though I crochet not knit, and it looks hard).
Love the spinning!